- 2GB Free
- automatic & encrypted
- $4.95/mth or $54.45/yr unlimited storage with desktop or web restoration … [continued]
By default, Carbonite backs up everything in your Documents and Settings folder, including documents, photos, email and data files from applications, such as Quicken, Money, etc. Once a subscription is purchased, music is also added to the list. The default backup does not include programs, system files, temporary files, videos, or individual files greater than 4GB. You can, however, manually add any of these to your Carbonite backup. Carbonite shows what’s backed up and what’s pending by putting small colored dots on each folder. You can right-click on the folders and change your options. For more detail, read Carbonite Online Backup.
- 15 day FREE trial, no credit card required
- completely automatic & encrypted
- $54.95/yr unlimited storage & desktop restoration
I know this is one of those burning questions that’s on most everyone’s mind, but no-one wants to spend the $10 to find out. Or look it up on Google.
Well, no need. I dropped a Lexar JumpDrive on the floor this afternoon and it cracked open to reveal its secrets. When I tried to put it back together, it fell into 3 pieces. When I thought I almost had it back together it fell into 4 pieces. Four pieces without an instruction manual. Well, I thought, nothing for it now except to start taking pictures.
If you have a computer you need a good backup plan.
It shocks me to realize how much of the life I take for granted is on my computer. Not anywhere on paper I can hold in my hands. Thousands of family history files and photographs, contacts, email, financial files … Thousands and thousands of hours of work. The thought of any of it disappearing leaves me breathless. … [continued]
Why Backup is Important:
5 Reasons to Try Carbonite Online Backup
1. Losing your most valuable files is a very real possibility: every year, 43% of computer users lose irreplaceable photos, emails, documents and financial records.
2. Your files aren’t safe unless your backup is up-to-date and stored securely in an offsite location. Fires, floods, theft and other natural disasters can render onsite backups useless.
3. Carbonite is so easy; it’s automatic, continual and won’t slow down your PC. Best of all, recovering files from any computer is quick and hassle-free.
4. Everything is secure: your files will be encrypted twice using the same technology as banks, so only you can see your files – guaranteed.
5. Risk-free trial: Try Carbonite FREE for 15 days. No credit card required.
If you are still keeping your file backups in the same place as your computer, you may be asking for trouble. Fire, floods or theft, although unexpected, do happen, and it only takes once to lose it all. Mozy Online Backup is a great service. After installing and activating a small program, your choice of files are encrypted for privacy and automatically backed up to an online server.
If you have your files backed up to another computer or up-to-date external drive or discs, in a different location, you’re in much better shape than a lot of us. If you don’t, you might think about online backup at Mozy.
I resisted this for a long time because I thought it was too expensive, too complicated and would expose my private files to prying eyes. None of those things are true.
I have heard that Gold media, CD’s and DVD’s, have been making a comeback. These are gold-layered discs, (important) not just gold-colored. They use a different technology in the production which gives them a much longer life-span, 100-300 years, instead of the usual 1-5.
The better known brands are Kodak and Mitsui. They’re $2-3 each, less if you buy in bulk. The DVD’s are about the same price as the CD’s so obviously a better bargain if you have DVD-capability.
Here are a few links. The prices are changing as I write. You might also find them in earthly stores if you’re not living in the backwoods like me.
Delkin 25PK DVD $58.35
Verbatim UltraLife Gold Archival Grade DVD-R 4.7GB 8X, 50 pack $78.90
Memorex 4.7 GB Pro Gold Archival DVD-R (5-Pack) $21.46
DataMediaStore Kodak Preservation Gold DVD-R 8X 25 Pack Spindle $53.75