Not gone forever, just cleaning up the MRIN folders.
As the story began, way back when, it was called the Source Library consisting of a listing of source documents starting with Marriage Record Identification Numbers. Then followed by extension numbers to distinguish one from another in the Citation File ID box in Legacy.
I had other folders for photos and other files that weren’t linked to Legacy which meant I was flipping back and forth looking for things. That got to be annoyingly inefficient.
SO, I decided to sort them all into MRIN folders. I was half way there already.
This obviously disconnects the source documents from Legacy and that’s fine. Better that I can see all the documents in context than one at a time. When I disconnected them, there were over 15,000 source citations with linked documents. I’m not linking them back one at a time.
Then I had to decide on a naming convention so I can have a chronological listing of everything I have for each marriage. So, MRIN-Date to start. Since everything’s by date it’s infinitely expandable. I could have been this smart to begin with but, alas, I had to crawl my way to the obvious.
Long file-names are highly over-rated. In thumbnail view, I can pretty much see what’s what.
Calling a census record a census record is overkill. Most of us can recognize one at a 100 yards by scent alone. Using GeoSetter and Photo Mechanic everything is tagged up the yin-yang (names, object-type, addresses, GPS, etc) so if I want to I can bring up hundreds of them with a simple search on the word ‘census’. Not that I can think of why I’d ever want to do that.
And likewise, for many other types of records. Or specific people. Or addresses. Or anything else I’ve added to the tags.
99% of the paper has been scanned and filed. In rare cases where I don’t have digital copies, I still make MRIN folders and put in text documents with a listing of what paper there is. If I do a quick search in the MRINs for DAR, for instance, I come up with five and three of them are only paper. With the MRINs in hand I can quickly pull them out of a file-box. (Hint: Windows doesn’t index the inside of text documents. DAR was part of the file-names. Copernic can do it though.)
So, that’s it. About 1,500 folders with 5,000 files. Not including ‘places’ and thousands of family photos filed some other way. A drop in the ocean really. Anyone with a file of any kind has their own folder. That’s also not including my yet-to-file folders. That’s next.