Here are a couple of new portable apps that might interest you. If you already have the PortableApps Platform installed, you already know how that works. One click on the paf.exe file and an app is added to your menu. All completely free.
Gramps 3.25, fully-featured genealogy software you can take with you anywhere. It’s presently importing my 11,000 person gedcom.
- Gramplets – A dashboard to help you monitor the progress of your research. A variety of widgets provide quick analysis of your data and more.
- People – A list of every individual in your records featuring birth/death dates and more.
- Relationships – A summary of the active person’s parents, siblings, spouses and children.
- Families – A list of every family group featuring parent names, relationship status and, if applicable, marriage dates.
- Ancestry – A graphic representation of the active person’s ancestry featuring photos and birth/death dates.
- Events – A list of every event in your records featuring descriptions, event types, dates and places.
- Places – A list of every place in your records featuring place names and location details.
- Geography – An interactive map view highlighting places associated with one person, a group of people or all people in your records.
- Sources – A list of all sources referenced in your records featuring authors and publication details.
- Repositories – A list of source repositories referenced in you records featuring web addresses, physical addresses and email contact information.
- Media – A list of all photos, videos and other media referenced in your records featuring thumbnail preview, media type and more.
- Notes – A list of all text notes included in your records featuring note type and preview.
Marble 0.10.0, virtual globe and world atlas. It’s not entirely accurate at higher magnification. For instance, the island of Phuket shows as part of mainland Thailand. But, I think, overall it will help with my geography-deficit.
Product Description: Of course it’s also possible to measure distances between locations or watch the current cloud cover. Marble offers different thematic maps: A classroom-style topographic map, a satellite view, street map, earth at night and temperature and precipitation maps. All maps include a custom map key, so it can also be used as an educational tool for use in class-rooms. For educational purposes you can also change date and time and watch how the starry sky and the twilight zone on the map change.
In opposite to other virtual globes Marble also features multiple projections: Choose between a Flat Map (“Plate carré”), Mercator or the Globe.