If you’re not using PortableApps yet, there are more portable apps than you would believe and there are more being made all the time. I run as many as I can. You can literally carry around most of the software you need in portable versions. Occasionally I clean out my collection because I gather many more than I can use. Some of them I use daily.
If you want to be truly portable, install the PortableApps Platform in your Dropbox. Make a folder for the installation first. I named mine PA to keep the folder name short. (In particular to accommodate OpenOffice where the file-paths become unwieldy otherwise.) Now you’re automatically synced everywhere you go.
The PortableApps installation looks like this:
You can keep documents in Documents, although if you’re carrying all this around on an external hard-drive you’ll already have a backup of your documents elsewhere on the drive.
PortableApps is where all your portable apps are installed.
You can make a shortcut from StartPortableApps.exe to wherever you like to keep your shortcuts. My portable apps don’t go anywhere presently except to the laptop (converted to pdf reader and video-viewer) on the other side of my wireless office. Here are some of the programs that I have installed:
- 7-ZipPortable – zip/unzip files/folders
- AniFXPortable – create your own cursors (yeah, like this would be a priority)
- AntRenamerPortable – renaming files, haven’t tested it yet to make sure it leaves the IPTC alone
- Artweaver – paint pictures
- AudacityPortable – audio
- Autostitch – stitch photos together
- avpicfacexmptagger – adds Picasa face tagging to GeoSetter (no luck yet, might need Picasa installed)
- BlenderPortable – 3D design (right … in my spare time)
- CCleaner – temp file cleaner
- ClamWinPortable – anti-virus for portable apps
- ConvertAllPortable – convert measurements
- DamnVidPortable – video formats
- DiaPortable – diagramming
- DirectoryListPrintEN – print a list of any file directory
- DVDStylerPortable – getting fancy with DVD burning, needs Windows Media Player for preview
- EraserPortable – erase your files
- EverNote 2 Portable – notes, notes and more notes
- ExifTool – IPTC, etc
- FileZillaPortable – file transfer
- FoxitReaderPortable – PDF reader
- FreeCommanderPortable – fancy file browser
- FreeMind – mind mapping
- FreePlane – mind mapping
- Freeocr – OCR
- FSViewer – photo viewer and light editor
- GIMPPortable – photo editing
- IcoFXPortable – make icons
- InkscapePortable – drawing, newsletter creation, etc
- Jarte – rich text editor
- KeePassPortable – password database
- KompoZerPortable – html editor
- LightScreenPortable – screen capture
- MarblePortable – maps
- Notepad++Portable – text editor
- OpenOfficePortable – complete office suite
- PDFTKBuilderPortable – pdf’s
- PDFX_Vwr_Port – pdf’s
- PhotoFiltrePortable – photo editor
- PsPad – text editor
- Restoration – restore files
- SkypePortable – phone
- SpeedCrunchPortable – algebraic calculator (Yep, I really need this one.)
- TypeFasterPortable – typing lessons
- VirtualDubPortable – AVI editor
- Virtual Magnifying Glass
- VLCPortable – audio/video player
- WinDirStatPortable – a close up look at your hard-drive
- WinMergePortable – compare files
- XnViewPortable – photo browser, etc
Most of these are available at the PortableApps website.
Step 1. Install the PortableApps platform in your Dropbox.
Step 2. Download & install as many portable apps as you want.
Step 3. If you decide you don’t like or don’t need something you’ve installed and want to uninstall it just go to your PortableApps folder and delete the folder.